PSHE (Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education)
Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education is an essential aspect of every child’s education.
It is hoped that the PSHE programme will contribute to the development of students who are:
1. Successful learners who enjoy learning; make progress and achieve
2. Confident individuals who are able to live safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
3. Responsible global citizens who make a positive contribution to society
4. Independent and able to make informed choices both now and in the future
In addition to these objectives, we strive to develop a PSHE programme which meets the needs of our students, is age appropriate, with progressive curriculum content. We seek to include students in the development of the programme by seeking regular feedback. The core values of the school are incorporated into the programme. The personal development of our students is a constant consideration and is evident in the collaborative learning opportunities provided within the PSHE programme which warrant the use of different skill sets, through the Extra-Curricular life of the school and through the reporting of student involvement in wider aspects of school life. Our reward scheme for Key Stages 3 and 4 is centred on the BSJ Learner Profile and is also a means to recognize the personal achievements of students beyond academic performance.
The following themes are included in the Key Stage 3 programme:
• Drug Education
• SRE Education (Sex and Relationships Education). Parents are notified in advance of this topic.
• Study Skills
• Healthy lifestyles and risks
• Economic wellbeing
• Careers and work related learning